Saturday 19 January 2008

Town to illuminate Blackpool

As part of my placement with Town 102 I have finally been given the chance to visit Portman Road in the guise of a Journalist.

Yesterday morning I battled through the poor weather traffic on the A14 to attend the weekly Ipswich Town Press Conference.

I was so nervous... but it was sooooooo good!!!


Town travel up North to Blackpool today, a team they haven't played in the league since the seventies.

The league newcomers currently occupy 16th place, 9 places but just 7 points behind us.

They have made a good impression in the Championship, loosing only three of their games at Bloomfield Road.

Jim Magilton, the most laidback guy I think I've ever met when it comes to dealing with the media, explained that the style of the ground - i.e. the lack of roofs! - will affect the way the game is played:

DivShare File - blackpool.wav

He paid particular praise to midfielder Wes Hoolahan and manager Simon Grayson:

Hoolahan

Grayson

But what about our team? Gary Roberts makes an unexpected return to the squad.

Gary has had a bit of a bad start to the season, making mistakes all over the field but Jim has decided he has earned a second chance.

The only injury worry we have is Gavin Williams, the boss doesn't want to risk making him play when he's not fully fit.

DivShare File - squad better.wav

All the local papers seem to be talking about is the transfer window.

With the club actually having money this year everybody is getting a little over-excited about who we can buy.

18 days in, the pressure is beginning to build on Jim to make a purchase, but he insisted he will not panic buy:

DivShare File - transfers.wav


On my way home after work it suddenly dawned on me that I had been sitting opposite the man that has more influence on my life than any other person.

Every decision he makes at Ipswich can potentially lead to me being very happy, or completely distraught.

It was surreal to be around him in his world... but then I realised - It's my world
now too!

Apologies for the late publishing of this article - am having problems with my computer!

No comments: