Saturday 5 January 2008

New Year, New Leaf?

I woke up on Wednesday morning worn out from working at a nightclub on New Years Eve, and ever so slightly hungover from the champagne.

The prospect of West Brom at home did not encourage me to get out of bed!

Since Charlton away we have drawn at home to Scunthorpe and Burnley, the latter being the most dismal game I have seen in long while, and lost away in two equally appalling performances at Leicester and Coventry.

Add to that the fact the Baggies are top of the league and one of the favourites to go up this year, I was not hopeful for a happy result.

But I love my boys so I dragged myself over to Suffolk and I am so glad I did.

Give them their dues, West Brom are the best team I have seen play this season – they possess far more Premiership class than the likes of the inconsistent Watford.

Had it ended 0:0 I would have been really proud.

As for our boys, the lacklustre team that I saw at Leicester last week was long gone.


My man of the match was Alex Bruce, he was solid and professional and barely made a mistake all game – although if he is going to continue clearing the ball with his head he would do well to practice a bit!

David Wright turned in another fine performance, and was deservedly rewarded with the goal that broke the deadlock.

That goal was set up by EADT Man of the Match, Liam Trotter. I felt the youngster did have a fantastic game – creating play and passing the ball well. But after 70 minutes he looked shattered and had to be substituted.

My man Jonnie Walters had another good game, although he was very quiet. I would prefer to see him play on the right with Wright (!); but he did his job as a striker and missed a number of good chances on goal.

One other person I wanted to mention was Danny Haynes. He had another superb game, looking energetic and confident. Many other young players would look out of depth with such quality opponents but he upped his game and I was impressed – a permanent first team position could soon be his perhaps?


Ipswich are one of those teams who always benefit from playing against ‘better’
clubs. Following some recent awful performances, Town gave 24,000 fans an enjoyable afternoon at last.

And so with the New Year we turn over a New Leaf and hopefully will be able to build on this result to start securing that Play-Off position.

As a Radio Suffolk listener reminded us:

‘Ipswich haven’t lost away this year…’!

No comments: